21. Soldiers Arrive
To take over Fort Vancouver
image to switch between the original drawing and the finished panel
|By 1860 the Fort completely surrounded the Hudson Bay Company. The British traders moved north and established a new post in present day Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. In 1850, the post was known by several names: Camp Vancouver, Columbia Barracks and Department of the Columbia. It was renamed Fort Vancouver in 1853. The current name of Vancouver Barracks dates from 1879.
The top border includes a bugle and the original Covington House, home of the first piano in Washington.